Founded in 1999, the Chuck Jones Center for Creativity is a 501(C)3 nonprofit charity that strives to help create a world where creativity is known and experienced in every discipline. Named after its founder, animation creator and director Chuck Jones, the center offers programs that are based on Jones’ philosophy of guiding and nurturing instruction. Some programs that will be offered at the Chuck Jones Center for Creativity this month are as follows.
Story Time at Chuck Jones Center for Creativity at SOCO and The OC Mix
SOCO and The OC Mix invites families to visit Chuck Jones Center for story time, art projects, music and more. Every other Monday, the program invites children and their parents to enjoy the center’s creative art projects. Each session, the art projects feature a color of the week while also offering lively interactive music and engaging stories by Christa Mae.
Sessions take place from 1:00 pm until 2:00 pm, with upcoming events taking place on November 20th, December 4th and December 18th.
After School Class: Cartooning
Studio classes in cartooning will be offered at the Chuck Jones Center throughout the month of November. Taking place on Mondays from 3:30 to 5:30 pm, the four-week series will focus on a different aspect of cartooning each week. For November, the schedule is as follows:
• November 6th: Shapes and Gestures
• November 13th: Caricature
• November 20th: Character Design
• November 27th: Comic Panels
The studio classes are open to students ages 7 through 15 with no experience necessary. Throughout the series, participants will learn drawing techniques inspired by Chuck Jones while also exploring character development and visual storytelling. The cost is $60 per participant.
Drop in and Draw
Held most Saturdays at the Chuck Jones Center, Drop in and Draw is a free program open to children of all ages. During this event, which takes place from 10:00 to noon each day, participants are invited to express themselves creatively. Drop in and Draw is currently scheduled to take place each Saturday in November, which includes November 4th, 11th, 18th and 25th. Minors must be accompanied by an adult and donations to help cover material costs are accepted.
Exploring the Museum
In addition to offering classes and workshops, the Chuck Jones Center is also a museum dedicated displaying the works of Chuck Jones. The center is also committed to placing exhibits of Chuck Jones’ art in museums, educational institutions and conservatories around the world. Some recent exhibits of his works have been found in the following places:
• Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences in Beverly Hills, California
• Art Institute of Southern California in Costa Mesa, California
• Bradford Animation Festival in Bradford, United Kingdom
• Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco, California
• Chapman University, Leatherby Library in Orange, California
• Franklin Park Conservatory in Columbus, Ohio
• Laguna College of Art and Design in Laguna Beach, California
• Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
• Pixar Studios in Emeryville, California
• Port of Portland in Portland, Oregon
• Sky Harbor Airport Museum in Phoenix, Arizona
• Tempe Center for the Arts in Tempe, Arizona
The Chuck Jones Center for Creativity is located at 3321 Hyland Avenue in Costa Mesa.